| Tandžék |
|Period||c. 1200 YP|
|Spoken in||Medrimen (Piedmont)|
|Total speakers||800,000 ~ 1,000,000|
|Classification|| T1 languages|
|Basic word order||SOV|
Tandžék has a moderately sized consonant inventory with 21 consonant phonemes. The inventory is shown in the table below.
|plosive||p · b||t · d||k · ɡ|
|affricate||t͡s||t͡ʃ · d͡ʒ|
|fricative||f · v||s · z||ʃ · ʒ|
- Consonants are written as in IPA in this document, with the following exceptions: /ɲ t͡s t͡ʃ d͡ʒ ʃ ʒ ɾ w j/ are rather written ny, ts, tš, dž, š, ž, r, u or w, and ı or y. The consonants /w j/ are respectively spelled ı and u next to a consonant or at the end of a word; they are written y and w elsewhere.
- Phonemes written in grey are marginal, and in some analyses of Tandžék phonology they are considered allophonic.
The base vowel inventory of Tandžék is comprised of only four vowels, but it is extended with numerous diphthongs. The base vowel phonemes are shown in the table below.
- Vowels are written as in IPA: a, e, ı and o. The close vowel /i/ is written without dot to make it more distinct: compare ı í with i í.
- Irregular stress is marked on the stressed vowel with an acute accent: á, é, í and ó.
- Some analyses of Tandžék phonology posit a marginally phonemic fifth vowel /u/.